My Best Birth!!

3:15 PM Posted In , , , , , Edit This 0 Comments »
On a recent trip to the library, I picked up some great material on pregnancy and birth.  I am halfway through my pregnancy now, so I figured it was time to really get serious and start immersing myself in the culture of birth.  I grabbed 3 items that I have been dying to experience.  First, Ina May Gaskin's book "Spiritual Midwifery" really got me in the right spiritual frame of mind to start embracing the type of birth I have envisioned for myself this time around.  Second, the movie "Orgasmic Birth" got me exploring the pleasurable side of the the birth I envision for myself.  And lastly, I read "Your Best Birth" by Ricki Lake and Abby Ebstein which reassured me that I was making the best choices for my birth and gave me the ammo and confidence to fight tooth and nail to keep those choices mine.

So now the question I am asking myself, is "What is my vision for the absolute best birth experience?"  I may not get that perfect birth, but knowing my best case scenario gives me something to strive for.  When I close my eyes and imagine it, I am in my living room on a warm summer evening.  There is a pool, candles and maybe some light music but otherwise it's very quiet.  I am surrounded by only a few people who are supporting me but giving me space.  My labour is internal and I work inside myself to cope with the pain on the rushes.  When it comes time to push my baby out, I am given the freedom to follow my baby and body's lead.  My baby is born into my own arms and I lift him or her onto my chest for the first loving embrace.  I am able to hold my baby until the placenta is delivered and the cord is cut, and then the whole family cuddles together as our new lives together begins.  Sounds magical, doesn't it??

That's my best case scenario.  Things may come up that make certain aspects of this plan impossible...but another part of my ideal is to have an amazing support person who knows exactly what I want and can make sure that that no matter what the circumstances are, I get the best experience possible.

Is that too much to ask?  I don't think so, yet the people I am talking to (obviously the wrong people) keep dismissing my wishes are frivolous and unrealistic.  I should just stop talking to people!  Especially the people who bring negativity and doubt into something that means a lot to me.  So far, I am lucky to have the full support of my partner and his enthusiasm for my vision is encouraging.  Hopefully, I can find another support person who will support and encourage me in the same way.  If I can find that, I know this will be my best birth.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

0 comments:

Contact the Glowing Goddess

glowinggoddess@gmail.com